Hello pirate! You’re likely reading this because you’ve been affected by a pesky ThingBeard error and would like to know what to do. Apologies that something has gone wrong, but let’s get you up and plundering again! Find your ThingBeard in the list below, and steps to resolve them.
This can be caused by any of the following:
- The Servers Are Closed – We are not running a play session when you tried to log in, so you cannot play Sea of Thieves right now.
- You have more than one Gamertag signed in to your console. Please sign all other accounts out of the console, and only launch the game with the one account that has been invited to play.
- You have not been invited to play the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha. If you’re registered as an Insider, you may be invited in the future – keep an eye on your registered email address.
CinnamonBeard & BronzeBeard
We were unable to connect you to the game. Please do the following:
- Press the Guide Button on your controller
- Highlight Sea of Thieves
- Press the Menu Button (to the right of the Guide Button on your controller)
- Highlight "Quit" and press A
- Re-launch Sea of Thieves from your Pins, Recent or My Games & Apps areas of your console
- Navigate the menu and join a game as usual
You must be signed into Xbox Live to play Sea of Thieves. Ensure your Xbox Live status is connected and then sign in and try again.
When playing on an Xbox One console, you need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play online. Please check your subscription settings and purchase a Gold membership as needed.
AlabasterBeard, AllmondBeard & CyanBeard
Your connection to Xbox Live and/or the Sea of Thieves services has been disrupted or lost. Please check your console's network status via the Settings > Network menu.
Your game client is out of date, please check for updates.
Something has happened on our side that we're working to fix. Please check the status of the game at seaofthieves.com for more information.
We have either taken the servers down for an update, or we are not currently running a playtest session at this time. Please verify there is a scheduled playtest running in your timezone.
Can be caused by Anti Virus/Firewall settings, but can also be caused by proxy servers and other network management manipulation / tools.
You have been removed from the active game session due to lack of activity.
Your error is not listed, or need more help?
Head to https://support.seaofthieves.com to raise a ticket, one of our team will get back to you ASAP!